Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My third attendance of PLDI

Hi, I'm Nick Johnson from Princeton University.  This will be my third time attending PLDI.  You may have met me in San Jose in 2011, or heard my talk in Beijing in 2012.  This year, I will present "Fast Condensation of the Program Dependence Graph," which I authored with Taewook Oh, Ayal Zaks and my advisor, Professor David August.

Presently, Princeton is closed, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to write a blog post.

I really like PLDI.  Why?  Just like its name (PL+DI), I think it strikes a great balance between programming language (PL) research and the hard evaluation that you can only achieve through design and implementation (DI).  Together, PL adds principle to DI, and DI focuses PL.  It's like beautiful math mixed with applications of consequence. You'll consistently find great papers at PLDI.

A conference, of course, is not just about the research but also about the attendees.  At PLDI, you meet representatives of academia, private research and industry whose expertise range from architecture to PL.  It's a really fun conference.  If you're a grad student and this is your first attendence, I highly recommend you meet as many new people as you can.

I'm looking forward to visiting Seattle, as I haven't been there in at least a year.  A friend of mine recommends kayaking in the arboretum near UW.  Find me at PLDI and let me know if you'd like to join.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment