Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Greetings from UCI

I'm Khanh Nguyen, a 2nd-year Ph.D. student from UC Irvine. Even though this is not my first time attending an academic conference (I presented one paper in ESEC/FSE'13 in Russia), I'm still very anxious about this. I think the experience from PLDI would be very different comparing to FSE and I look forward to that.

I will participate in the Student Research Competition, presenting a system called FACADE, which is a compiler and runtime system for Big Data applications. In this system, we propose a new programming model that breaks the long-held object-oriented programming principle: objects are used both for data representation and data manipulation. Instead, we make a clear separation of them. FACADE has the ability to automatically transform existing Java programs into our model with very minimal users' effort. And it guarantees an upper bound of number of data objects regardless how much data a program needs to process.

I look forward to hearing all the talks. I wish PLDI could record all the talks so I wouldn't have to make painful decision of which session to attend. But that's just my wish :) (is there anyone out there having the same wish?)




No comments:

Post a Comment