Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Back from Beijing

Coming from the architecture community and never having never attended a PL conference before, I wasn't sure what to expect... but I had a great time! And I was very impressed by the quality of the talks, which were very accessible.  So kudos to everyone who gave a talk!

Some conferences have various camps in them that specialize in specific areas.  It seems PLDI has more of a spectrum of attendees.  There's the formal methods and semantics people who blend in with the functional programming people who then, in turn, cross over with object-oriented crowd who then also cross over with the hardware-optimizing compiler crowd.  And of course there's various mixtures everywhere in between.  I like how, despite the diversity, there's a lot of sharing of ideas in ways that is easy for others to grasp.

It was good fun but I'm glad to be back.  I hope to make it to PLDI again sometime in the coming years.  Thanks to NSF for helping fund us poor graduate students!  Thanks to the organizers for such a successful conference!  And thanks to all the other volunteers as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment