Monday, June 25, 2012

Greetings


I had a bit of (self­-induced) trouble getting write access to this blog, so apologies for posting this a bit late.

-----------------

Hi everyone,

I’m Alan Leung, a 2nd year PhD student at the University of California, San Diego. First things first, I just wanted to say how grateful I am for the generous travels grants that make travel to places like Beijing possible!

This year is the first time I’ll be presenting at PLDI, and I’m both excited and a bit anxious for my first chance to present the research we’ve done. I’ll be presenting the paper “Verifying GPU Kernels by Test Amplification,” where we explore a technique for verifying determinism in GPU kernels with a combination of dynamic race analysis and static information flow analysis. The key ingredient of our approach is that we can verify determinism using a single test execution, so long as we can show that the kernel always displays the same shared memory access behavior, regardless of the values its data inputs. We call this property access invariance. It turns out that a lot of kernels are in fact access invariant, making them amenable to our technique!

So, the first thing I hope to get out of this experience is a chance to get people as excited about the research as I am, through my talk, poster session, or maybe just chatting in the halls. The second thing I hope to gain is a new perspective on old problems, or just an awareness of new problems, by attending talks and meeting some of the brilliant folks in the PL world and beyond. Some of the best ideas can come out of the blue during a conversation. Finally, I’m a bit of a foodie, so in addition to all the food for thought we’ll get at the conference, I hope to get a chance to taste some of the great food Beijing has to offer!

Really looking forward to it!

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment