Friday, June 22, 2012

Back from PLDI & LCTES

I’m very glad PLDI and LCTES are held in China this year. According to the statistics, there are more than 580 attendees and about 1/3 of them come from China. It’s really a great place to attend talks and communicate extensively with other researchers.

There are many impressive talks during the conferences. For example, there are researches focusing on how to map emerging applications onto heterogeneous platforms such as CPU, GPU, FPGA, many-core accelerator, which are very practical problems in the multicore era. Also, there are researches exploring the first scalable and precise data-race detection scheme for newly-born structured parallel programming model, and novel strategies to accelerate concurrency bug detection, which are very hot topics in parallel programming. These talks are quite related to researches in our team and I would like to bring back this information to classmates in our team.

It seems that there is a broad spectrum of attendees in PLDI and LCTES. Like Marc de Kruijf, I also come from the architecture community. By the way, my session chair Florence Maraninchi happens to be one of the PC in Design Automation Conference (DAC) this year; and I just attended the DAC conference in San Francisco a week ago before I went to PLDI & LCTES. Talking to researchers from different communities help me to broaden my outlook and think in new ways. And this will certainly help me to advance my future researches.

Finally, I want to extend my sincere thanks to all who were involved in organizing the conference, the ACM SIGPLAN PAC for funding my trip, everyone who presented, everyone who came to my talk and asked such excellent questions, all the student volunteers, and anyone else I'm forgetting.

Zhenman

No comments:

Post a Comment